If you work at a desk all day (like I do) your well aware of how uncomfortable it can start to get.
Your neck hurts, there is a knot in your back, and after hours sitting, there just doesn’t seem to be a way to get comfortable.
That’s not the worst of it though.
Much to the chagrin of myself and every other professional that spends their days at a desk, it is becoming increasingly apparent that sitting all day can have negative effects on your health.
Inactivity will slow your metabolism, and even lead to an increased risk of heart disease.
Fortunately, the office supply market has responded to this risk and today we will be taking a look at the Varidesk, which is a workspace attaches to your existing desk to help you improve your health in the office!
Is that really necessary?
We shall see.
VARIDESK – Height-Adjustable Standing Desk Review
The Varidesk is multitiered work surface with a spring component that allows you to raise and lower it with the pull of a lever, making it easy to stand while you work. The work surface can be mounted to any existing desk so that your computer will be at a comfortable to work from whether you chose to stand or sit.
If you want to work from your feet, simply raise your desk to a comfortable height so that you don’t have to strain your back and neck. When you want to sit back down, lowering it is just as simple. Don’t just take my word for it though, read on to take a look at this product’s features.
- For a large Workspace: The multi-tiered aspect of this desk is built to accommodate those with a lot to work with, or perhaps just the messier people among us. I can admit to falling into that category myself.
- Multiple Monitors : If you use multiple computer monitors, or you just need the extra space, the Varidesk will have no trouble accommodating you.
- Very Adjustable: The height of the Varidesk can be adjusted into any of twelve ergonomic positions for ultimate back support. It doesn’t matter how tall or short you are—regardless there will be a setting that fits your needs.
- Quick: The surface goes up and down to fit any position in three seconds or less meaning you won’t need to stop what you are doing to change settings.
- Sturdy: The strong frame is built to easily handle up to thirty five pounds of your stuff, which is a feature that people who keep a lot of clutter are sure to appreciate.
- Ready out of the Box: The desk comes pre-assembled so you don’t need to worry about spending a few hours with your tools. I’m possibly one of the least handy people on the planet so this might just be my favorite feature.
Pros and Cons
Now that you understand what this product can do, let’s go over some of the pros and cons so you can decide whether or not it is something you would like to incorporate into your office.
- It’s big: One thing that I like about this product is that besides just featuring the cool lift technology, it actually functions as a high-quality desk top as well.
I think one thing to worry about new products that enhance the features of old ones is that the new features will come at the expensive of the quality of the older ones.
That’s not what is happening here. The Varidesk offers a lot of space for your stuff and features a sturdy frame built to last, meaning you don’t have to sacrifice quality for your health.
- It’s important: Your health is important, especially when you take into consideration that heart disease is the number one killer in this country. It’s true that diet and exorcise will go a long way towards improving your health, but it’s definitely nice to have the opportunity to make a small change that could have a big impact.
- Simple to Use: I’m the sort of person that does not have a lot of patience when it comes to figuring out new gadgets. The Varidesk uses a simple lever system to raise and lower it that no one should have any trouble figuring out.
- Attaches to Any Desk: You can place this model on any desk with a surface wide enough to accommodate its dimensions. No tools are required.
I’ve already mentioned that it comes pre-assembled, which is a nice enough feature in its own right, but isn’t it kind of nice that opening the box is the only step? No drilling, nailing or screwing, simply set the workspace atop your desktop, and rest easy knowing that the sturdy, balanced frame is more than capable of safely holding your stuff.
As far as function is concerned, there are really no cons to speak of. The features encompass everything that you would want from a product of this nature, and owners report that it functions as advertised.
In fact, people that already own the Varidesk are reportedly very pleased with their purchase. The product has accumulated many reviews on Amazon and sites liking it praising the sturdy design and wide workspace.
The problem? If there is one, it’s going to be the price.
The Varidesk doesn’t come cheap.
In fact, it’s about six times more expensive than the desk I am writing this on right now.
To be fair, I did get it years ago at a thrift store for under one hundred dollars, but the point is, if you are like me and used to picking up office supplies on the cheap, it may feel strange picking up a desk attachment that costs more than your desk itself.
Ultimately, whether or not you make that decision will of course be up to you.
The Price and Where to Buy the Varidesk Pro 36
The cheapest place I’ve seen the Varidesk 36 is on Amazon.com for $395.
Not the cheapest attachment on the market, but that is what you will pay if you were to get it on Amazon.com.
If you actually shop on Amazon, you can find a lot of similar attachments to the Varidesk Pro 36 for a lot cheaper.
Well that’s it. You’ve seen the features, the pros, and the one big con.
Now the decision is on you.
If you don’t like the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on what essentially amounts to an accessory of a product that you already have, I can’t blame you.
Personally, I am a little conservative when it comes to spending money as well, but when it comes to matters of health, I find it sometimes pertinent to make exceptions.
One thing is for sure: if you do decide to spend the money, you won’t regret it. The Varidesk is a quality product that yields quality results.
If you are in need of a complete desk, you might want to checkout the Up-Lift Standup desk instead.